Monday 31 October 2011

A Tree Grows in a Yard.

Erin Smith is running. Why? She doesn't know. From what? She doesn't know. But with every corner she turns they are there they are. There are 3 of them, following her just out of sight, always in the shadows. It doesn't matter which way Erin turns, they are always there. Then Erin is comes to a dead end, a tall wall. No exit to the left, no exit to the right. No exit above, no exit below. Trapped. She spins around to see if there is an exit behind but there they are, making their slow and steady way towards her. In a desperate attempt she turns her back to the oncoming shadows and clambers at the wall. Finally she gives up, shuts her eyes and rests her head against the wall. She never saw them run towards her. She never saw wall fall and squash her.

When Erin wakes up, she is in what can only be described as heaven. Green grass that goes on for miles. Blue skies that go on for miles. And, most importantly no shadowy type people following her. She smiles content and leans back against the grass, running her fingers through it. She closes her eyes, takes a long deep breath of the fresh air.

"Is there anything I can help you with Miss Erin Smith?"

Erin's eyes fly open and stare into the face of a stranger. She should feel fear but this is heaven after all. What dangers could there ever be in heaven. This stranger is smiling yet there is something about the smile on her face that doesn't quite fit with the surroundings.

"Is there anything I can help you with Miss Erin Smith?" The stranger repeated. "You can have anything you want."

"What anything?" Erin asks.

"Anything."

"Can I have a puppy? I've always wanted a puppy. My parents are allergic so I never got one."

A puppy appears out of thin air! A Puggle! It is so cute and cuddly and was so friendly. They play, they laugh, and they have fun. And just as the puppy appears, it disappears leaving Erin feeling betrayed.

A tree grows in the yard.

"That didn't work out so well did it," the stranger says reappearing, "Would you like anything else?"
Erin thinks for a moment. "I want to feel pretty and someone to tell me I am pretty."

Her clothes turn into a sparkling dress and a guy appears. He is so cute! So cuddly! So friendly. Then he switches on her. His compliments turn to curses. He cuddles turn to pinches. She sends him away instantly and is left feeling abused.

A tree grows in the yard.

"Hey stranger lady!" Erin calls, "HEY STRANGER LADY!"
Stranger lady appears. "That didn't turn out so well either. Is there anything else you want Miss Erin Smith."
"Yes, I want my friends." Nothing happens. "I said I want my friends!" She feels alone. 

A tree grows in the yard.

"I want my friends! I want my friends!! I want my friends! I want my friends!"
"You can't have what you no longer obtain, Miss Erin Smith…"
"I want my friends!"

The trees begin to morph into shapes that look all too familiar. Erin Screams "I want my friends!"

"Then you shouldn't have turned your back on them."

No comments:

Post a Comment